The Three D's

Designing, Demoing and Deliberating -- these are the 3 D's

Design:
Before one demolishes a space, you should and must have a design in place. This is ours :)

Demo:
The design is decided, almost entirely and it's time to tear apart and destroy the room. aka, the fun part!


last year maybe?

  
step 1: remove mirror and vanity (luckily, all in one piece!)
we got $100 through FB marketplace...pretty good deal for the person who got it, IMO.

step 2: cut dry wall and install wood backing for new sink support.
so sad, but a piece of a table that I never finished in college was perfect for this, so I had to let it go.
oh, and one last pee for old time's sake.

step 3: removing toilet paper holder mount he broke when he was 1! it's been sitting there for 5 years, waiting for this remodel!


step 4: remove baseboard and convince husband that going this far with everything and saving the hideous 16 inch porcelain tile floor would be a huge huge HUGE mistake!

That is where my little roadtrip, mid covid, to NJ just over the bridge happened. It really was meant to be. The process of convincing him, involved me researching my options to deliver to him. The Tile Shop was coming out to approximately $675 for the hex calacatta gold I chose. After sharing that price with him, I not only realized in my own head how ridiculous that was for what's supposed to be a simple update, but how he'd never give into the work involved with that price tag! So the facebook marketplace find that I wrote all about here, was completely fate. Everything was falling into place and so unbelievably naturally! Does that mean we wouldn't hit any bumps along the way? Of course not. But those will be discussed next week!! :D

step 5:
picture on left: these were the 2 options I drove over there for. neither one was the color I wanted, but you must sacrifice when you come across an unbeatable deal -- $5/sf. top was afyon sugar and bottom was the ever so famously admired carrara. I struggled because the calacatta gold is like the 2 of those combined. (I included a photo below to show you how the grey veins have the subtle cameo appearances of some gold. I mean, is there anything more beautiful??)
picture on right: I knew what carrara looks like, because it's in almost every home now. So I knew it'd be a safe choice, but I don't like safe and I don't like blending in. I set up 3 sheets of the afyon sugar and that's when I knew it was just too yellow! I drove back and forth from his 2 warehouses, driving DM insane with phone calls and photos, unable to make a decision. He told me to pick the sugar color, but it felt soooo wrong.
Well, I am just repeating myself from last week. Go back to read about the ending.

step 6: get right to it--the REAL demo fun! it was easier than I anticipated. all that was needed was a hammer and safety glasses. though in my case, my gucci glasses did the trick :)

all 3 of our kids "helping"

he's just like dick van dyke in Mary Poppins! lol



last step: clean.


The finished product of demolition. a clean slate. simple. easy. 1 2 3. right? no.

Deliberation:
This has been the most stressful part. Deciding how to move forward; the right way or the easy way? If we do it the easy way, it's basically the wrong way and we'd inevitably have so much regret. Sure, it'd be less money, a whole lot faster, but plain wrong. The right way would be more time, money and room for mistakes throughout the process. I'll explain. The floor on this level is the opposite of that word -- level. It's pretty slanted, about a 1" grade to be exact, which is significant. So these were our questions to ourselves... Do we use thinset? How do we pour thinset? Will that fix the problem? How much better can we really make the unlevelness? What if we royally screw up? We went back and forth for too long. What did we end up deciding after all of that deliberating? Come back next week to see!

In the meantime, our sink came, of course with a missing piece! The best part was the company's customer service rep telling us that it is impossible because each box is hand packed and inspected before sealing and shipping. We've had many issues with orders, such as defects, damage, etc. -- but never being accused of lying. In the end, we resorted to putting our faith back into Amazon since we knew they'd right the wrong without any questions. We tried to make it simple by going straight to the manufacturer, but sometimes big corporations are actually better. 
the slot second from the right was empty and we checked all of the packaging thoroughly.

The problem is fixed, we got the replacement and sent back the box with the missing part. It's still a gorgeous product and so well priced. I shopped countless hours for the perfect console sink. They're almost all unaffordable. Most come with the base and sink sold separately. And if I really got what I wanted, we'd have to purchase a marble counter and backsplash too. When I found this sink, it was by far the most affordable without sacrificing beauty. The only thing I did have to sacrifice was the marble counter. But I felt like the floor made up for that in the end! Still, everything was running smooth and falling naturally into place. Until next week, head over to instagram for some cute videos of the kids helping with the cleanup. Oh, I meant "helping."



Comments

Popular Posts