home stretch

My memory is a complete blurry mess and I have no recollection of what happened when, without photographic evidence. I am going to guess that the last time I posted, it was the night after spraying my first coat. Since it was Benjamin Moore advance, it needs 16 hours to dry between coats. I woke up early that next morning and got to work. And I am so not a morning person. I did a light sand with 220 grit and thoroughly wiped everything down. This took a while since it was floor to ceiling beadboard with so many nooks to get into. Perhaps I was being a bit particular, but I wanted it be as close to perfect and as much of a professional finish as possible. I took my time. I was calm. I was patient. I really did my research. I even called a rep at BM to make sure I was doing everything correctly! The second coat went even smoother (no pun intended) and quicker. I looked over everything closely with my glasses on, using the mid-afternoon daylight coming through our teeny east facing window. I was thorough. I was confident. I was on a high, and it was not from the paint fumes (I think). I was an expert. I was building my residential painting business plan in my head. I needed no ones approval. I cleaned my tools. I peeled off the protective paper and plastic from the floors and window which was half spray painted over. I took off every bit of painter's tape. From the floors. From the outlets. From the pipes. Everything. I was done. David playing with our children in the gorgeous weather when I came out to give him the go-ahead to start installing fixtures whenever he was ready. It was time to wrap this puppy up!! Move on. Fin. Terminer. All done. I undressed. I went upstairs. I ran the shower. I got it all steamy. I got my body all wet and relaxed. Ok sorry, wrong kind of story. I was though. I felt good and proud. I was ready to start the day and enjoy the beautiful sunshine, eating lobster rolls by the water, with our friends. I am writing these short sentences to assist you in painting a vivid picture in your mind: and to prepare you for what I never saw coming. Enter David into steamy, calm bathroom. 
"Liz. I am not sure how to say this."
"....what."
"Is there any way you could have forgotten to spray a second coat of paint on one of the walls?"
"No. Why........................?" 
I am unable to recall exactly what was said following that. But, I distinctly remember the feeling of infuriating frustration. My not-in-the-least-relaxing shower turned into such a rush, just so I could go see the apparently unfinished-and-in-need-of-yet-a-third-coat painted walls. Except I couldn't. I was already in a rush and late to meet our friends. It sucked. The thought of all that taping and papering all over again. Of course, I rapidly remembered how our world is continuously proving to disappoint and disgust us, and so I quickly pulled myself together and mentally prepared myself to re-prep for yet the third and final spray. And it was fine. By far the quickest. Instead of meticulously papering and taping off the floor, I threw down a drop cloth and did my best to be careful and not get any over spray on the floor. This time I set up the work light and used it in my opposite hand as I was spraying, and when I believed myself to be done, went over every inch like I was using a fine tooth comb -- twice. It was done now. No matter what. The ceiling was finished after that second coat too, so I pulled that paper down. That was tricky to get covered, but not terribly difficult. Of course I there is some paint on our new and pretty tile that needs to be scrubbed off, but that's easy amd worth the time saved from not taping. Now I felt good again, and had David's highly proclaimed stamp of approval. We also vowed that no matter what, there would be no more coats. We were moving forward. Truly. 
Oh and I will never look like this again.
At least not in this powder room. Until next week for the final reveal, you can reminisce and wander through the links below.

posts leading up to week 7:
week 5 canceled. black lives matter!
week 6 | week 8 - COMING SOON! 


Comments

Popular Posts